Thursday, April 20, 2006

It was a mistake...
(frivolous entry about great (?) leaders' regrets after reading about two in a row)

just discovered (online) and added this Deng Xiaoping quote into my thesis cos i was somehow awed by his admitting his mistake (though it probably wasn't that serious a mistake anyways) but so anyway in his famous South China tour in 1992, Deng apparently said,
"Shanghai has apparent economic advantages in terms of personnel, technology, and management. Looking back, one of my mistakes is that when I began the special economic zone program, I missed out Shanghai [emphasis mine]. If I had included the city, development in the Yangtze River Delta, the entire Yangtze River Valley, or even the entire country would be different."
dun ask me why i (instinctively) felt so strongly for this statement... haha. perhaps when i first read it i put myself in his shoes and tried to really imagine how he must have felt...

along the same lines, but perhaps not even 1/100 as significant, (i read on the Straits Times somewhere) that Lee Kuan Yew apparently said it was a mistake that he rejected Formula One's bid to hold the event in Singapore in the 1960s or something....

alright. haha i'm not trying to make any point here. just taking a break. better get back to typing.

No comments: