Sunday, January 25, 2009

Happy Chinese New Year!

It's rare that I actually get some 'peace and quiet' to myself on a Chinese New Year's eve, but it's nice to have this little window of personal time to laze around and reflect a little...

These days, Chinese New Year really isn't very meaningful for me. This year, I'm just thankful to be able to enjoy a (much-deserved!) long weekend break. Though it's THE TIME to get-together and catch up with relatives, I really dun fancy having routine reunion dinners with aunties/uncles/cousins (on dad's side) whose 'affairs' I only hear about occasionally when parents engage in dinnertime/bedtime gossip... Aiyah i probably shouldn't be such a cynic but deep down it bothers me quite a bit why all of us continue the yearly practice of visiting one another just for the sake of 'adhering to custom'... For example, mum complains to me XXX aunt's well-off daughters always hav this see-ppl-no-up attitude and very sian3 that we still have to visit them... Seriously, if we all dun REALLY want to do it, then why not NOT do it and like laze at home during CNY right? :P And why do ppl have to be fake and pretend to enjoy entertaining guests we do not truly welcome in our homes? Oh well, perhaps when peers start to set up own families/ have own place I'll truly have some fun visiting ppl during CNY... ;)

Oops, after much complaining, I hope I have not doused the festive mood too much! To all my dear friends out there, I sincerely wish you a good year ahead and a work-free long weekend to relax and recharge :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello
Happy Chinese New Year to you =)
Enjoy the yummy food

Mints. said...

Happy New Year Jacqui!
We went to sy's place to bai4 nian2 yest night... :P

Anonymous said...

nice.. did you get angpow from her? =P

Mints. said...

Haha no leh. M says this year haven 'dong dong qiang'(verbatim) yet... Maybe next year... :P