Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's been a busy week and I have been compelled by circumstances to work quite hard.. Next week would be an equally bad week! Highlight of work week was perhaps the relatively entertaining MM dialogue on Wed evening at Suntec. And being able to savour my favourite Wild Rocket strawberry cheesecake... Was just sitting around just now when my sister decided to practice Chinese New Year songs on her recorder -- so that she can teach her kids next week. Was suaning1 her how her new year song sounded very cheerless when I suddenly wondered why all pri sch kids learn how to play the recorder... Seems like quite a useless skill leh -- nobody seems to play recorders out of school. Why not teach kids to play other instruments, like guitar, keyboard or something, as part of the main music curriculum and not like out of classes? Maybe recorders are just affordable musical instruments accessible to all.

p/s: my dear friend in the States, what musical instrument did u learn in sch?? ;)

6 comments:

Soo said...

Yeah! I was wondering too. Just bought my son a recorder and he was extremely impressed w me cos I know how to play songs like 客人来. 8-)

Mints. said...

Hahaha! Back then, they taught such songs in primary sch??

courtney said...

sadly, like you, the recorder was all the rage in 4th grade (around age 9). from then on out though we were given the option of learning another instrument if we liked. nowadays tho i think it's different... mother's 2nd grade kids (age 7-8) learn keyboarding/piano.

Mints. said...

Haha, it's interesting how "universal" the good old recorder is... ;P

courtney said...

i'd say, universally awful! =) does anyone find the music it produces pleasant?

Mints. said...

The ppl who invented it ;)