Tuesday, September 07, 2010

I.... finally bought an oven yesterday! A 26-l, DeLonghi electric stainless steel oven to be exact. Haha ok, why wld anyone be interested in my oven model hor.

It was an unplanned purchase and quite a bit cheaper than expected. Not sure why I keep thinking that electric ovens wld cost somewhere in the range of $1000; perhaps it's cos my auntie has a $1000 one. After scrutinising the many models on sale at Courts, realised that one can easily get a medium sized one for $200 - $300 in Sg. Maybe Courts sells the lower-end, consumer sorta ovens. But I think a $300 oven is good enough for me, as long as it bakes well... :) Yay, I can start baking again so am feeling kinda excited. Hopefully I really get down to doing it.

I bought my oven on gut feel... The sales-auntie kept promoting the adjacent Kenwood oven but somehow it just didn't quite click with me. I think cos the Kenwood one looked and felt more like a toy oven (white in color; plasticky-looking knobs etc) whereas the Delonghi one felt more heavy-duty with its full steel exterior and reliable-looking black knobs heh. It was scary 'cos when I finally decided on the Delonghi one, she told my mum - I know she likes the other one, I can tell one... So scary, I was already trying to be diplomatic/ make the sales-auntie feel better by casting a few more looks at the Kenwood one... but all my extra effort obviously didn't work cos she cld immediately tell. Dunno if she's so worldly she can tell or what... In any case it made me feel very vulnerable... :(

Hai - weekday afternoon shopping for household appliances with parents was so rare but nice.

2 comments:

courtney said...

congrats on your oven purchase! now you can return to baking treats as often as you did in DC. still impressed with your creations (biscotti and such). you'll have to post pics once you start... there are many,many inspiring baking blogs.. http://17andbaking.com/, http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/. this weekend i baked sweetened biscuits, which we paired w/ strawberries & ice cream (for mother's birthday treat).

Mints. said...

I can return to baking, but prob not as often as I did in DC! My creations were all stolen from online recipes :P I've forgotten how to bake i think... Mmm, sweetened biscuits with strawberries and ice-cream sound yummy! What's the difference btwn sweetened biscuits and normal ones? I thought all biscuits are sweet... are they just sweeter?