Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sept 12th 2010 marks the inauguration of my oven... and the first thing I baked with this oven was... pumpkin cake from Trader Joe's (the bread/ muffin mix was a gift from someone, but has been tucked away in my cupboard, neglected)! Haha it's a little cheaty, but u know, it's good to start small and get to know one's oven better before embarking on more ambitious projects. The more serious type of baking aside, I've also always appreciated the convenience of instant cake mixes; and I remb they cost as little as US$1 when on offer. Just pop the cake mix in the oven and you get some decent warm cake for breakfast/ a snack in about half an hour.

My chio oven :P I need to get some polarising filter to get rid of all these reflections...

Pumpkin cake in the making...


Not too bad for a "first-time" baker lah hor :P Thanks to the good recipe and oven, both loaves turned out nicely cooked/ crusty and tasted sufficiently yummy... I think I really like the thrill of watching something wonderful/delicious appear out of a gooey mess :P

2 comments:

courtney said...

impressive! i have never seen such a compact oven. is that standard abroad? even here in my tiny studio, i have a full size oven.. never used, of course. re: the bread- it looks fantastic. =) i baked pumpkin bread last year (quite a few times, actually) and the challenge was always getting it to bake all the way through (baking large loaves). btw- last year i baked a pumpkin pie from scratch (baking actual pumpkin) and it was a real hassle... and i learned later that chefs/prof bakers don't see a big diff b/w canned pumpkin and that acquired from scratch. btw, i have a great no bake (pre-bake) crust recipe if you're up for pie in the future.

Mints. said...

Does my oven look very compact? Hmm maybe just like food portions in the US, the things used to make food are also extra large :P Maybe there are compact ones, just that the pre-installed ones tend to be bigger.

Hmm not sure if they sell canned pumpkin here - I suppose they should huh. Great - a crust recipe sounds good! I'm sure I'd try to make a pie someday :)