Friday, June 22, 2012

Watering plants have become a daily routine for D & I since our landscaping for the garden was completed abt two weekends ago... It's pretty time consuming but the imagery of chio willows and a thriving spice garden has kept us pretty conscientious so far. Unfortunately the weather this week or two has been quite scorching n so the new plants aren't doing that well. Tonight - I discovered a snail at the spice garden... Being a gardening idiot I had to google before I was able to ascertain if it were a friend or foe. Alas, it's no friend of our garden and so I got brave D to displace it, ie gently toss out of our garden. I then decided to further inspect the sPice garden soil with my iPhone LED torchlight and to my horror discovered a small community of 6 - 8 snails all ready to feast on my various young herbs! Was really grossed out n consequently the tossing out became a bit more violent... Upon checking up further on my garden enemies and where they come from I realized that they lay eggs and are hermaphrodites.. Bleah.. Ok I suppose that is enough unsolicited info abt snails anyone can take for a night. I just hope I don't find more tomorrow :(

5 comments:

Hui Min said...

Lol the idea of you snail-hunting with an iPhone is pretty hilarious! Now I know what to get you guys for Christmas :P

Mints. said...

Haha what are you going to get us.. a torchlight or snail repellant? :P

Courtney said...

At organic farm i pick strawberries at they plant onions between plants and use pepper sprays, etc... Any remedies? Sure lots deal with this. Also, saw in recent williams sonoma catalog honey bees and chickens. You consider either? Urban farming has become quite the thing here.

Hui Min said...

I was going with the torchlight 'cause I'm not sure there's such a thing as snail repellant? Perhaps ringing up your plants with a 'salt wall'? :D

Mints. said...

Courtney - Nope I haven't explored pepper sprays and such. The snails have not returned so far so I will prob leave it as is for the time being!

Hui Min - Haha I am too lazy to create a 'salt wall' - will just pray hard they stay away!