Tuesday, September 18, 2012

First day of teaching!

The first day 'at work' was pretty busy n i forgot to be homesick ;) so many things happened but I guess I'd just blog abt the key things that struck me/ happened:

Good resources for teaching English seem to be really lacking in this place- I flipped thru the 'textbooks' the kids were using n to my horror found many misspelt words, colours that dun look like the colours they are supposed to show etc etc... The kids can def benefit a lot more fr just more accurate, better written textbooks.

The library I volunteer at also doesn't allow girls to come in pants (though I dunno who enforces it I will not push the boundary as yet) n so I had to bike there in a skirt n stupid me also brought a tote bag which kept slipping down my shoulder as I was biking. BAD idea, n I shall be smarter tmr.. And when I finally reached home at night after evening classes n dinner, I was greeted by a cockroach in my room! Usually I wld get D to get rid of it but was left to my own devices tonight n I squeamishly killed the invader with a flip flop.. Luckily for me this Lao cockroach didn't seem v agile so the murder was not too difficult..

There's a bunch of transportation issues n lesson plans to think abt but I think I am so ready for bed!

No comments: