Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Fraud alert

discovered an hour ago that i fell victim to an online credit card fraud some time last week without even realizing it!! relieved that i wun be liable for the fraudulent charges but it suddenly made me VERY aware that i should always be EXTREMELY cautious with divulging personal info over the internet... so how did i get tricked? remb i mentioned those pok emails that try to make ppl enter into business partnerships that were obviously fake? so this trap came in the form of an email too, (ironically and i guess cleverly) warning me that there has been fraudulent activity on my account and telling me that i should log into my acct to verify my info etc... can't remb exact wording. and fraudsters did an excellent job imitating the Chase interface that i didn't even suspect that it was fake... and stupidly clicked on link and entered info. now that i think about it, that link prob led to the fraudsters' victim database (which also looked totally authentic)... i'm actually also reminded of this similar Citibank email that was circulating prob a year ago.. this is the prob the very first fake Chase email i've gotten... oh well. i was really careless too. certainly a nasty shock, but definitely alerted me to the lurking possibilities of online credit card fraud!

No comments: