Sunday, August 13, 2006

there were 7 infants and toddlers in total at my colleague's housewarming party yesterday! given my experience living with Kai and family, this isn't exactly an eye-opener, but it's been a while! at one point, i was also 'passed' my colleague's ten-month-old baby... whom i tried very hard to hold properly, while frantically trying to draw on my baby-carrying experiences some 16 years ago with my then extremely little cousins. i was told by a colleague who recently crossed over from the private sector that the phenomenon of young married couples/young married couples with kids is certainly not the norm where she used to work. i guess it might be cos ppl working in private/public sectors have diff priorities? anyway, i was a lil baffled how till today i dun seem to have 'shaken off' my guai1 image... one colleague, when introducing me to her husband, joked that i was the guai1 type who "will stand up just to shake his hands"... i mean i know i'm not pai4 but why is it that wherever i go i seem to project this guai1 image...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's different where i am. i see lots of couples in their late 20s/early 30s who have been married for at least 2-3 years without kids. they only have dogs.
i think the trend now is to get married early, keep a dog and not have kids. the govt's generous maternity benefits only work for second-time parents at my place. hehe.
- rpd

Mints. said...

haha. i suppose maternity benefits work especially well for my unit then. hee and i suppose i made too broad a generalisation! :P
haha i suppose a dog is a good alternative. equally lovable but less white hair...? raising kids does seem like an extremely tiring affair.