Saturday, March 10, 2007

Of work and life

Sometimes work requires me to turn up at MPs' meet-the-people sessions and it was my (first) turn yesterday night. Basically we stationed ourselves in a classroom beside the main waiting room, to take questions/appeals related to SERS. Well, but most residents who turned up had the mentality that whatever they tell us is useless, cos we can only 'write letters' and are otherwise powerless to make those big decisions... and so I had a relatively easy time last night, with only 6 enquiries or so in the 2.45 hrs or so we were there. Just a few thoughts... MPs lead really busy lives! even though the MP was supposed to be there around 730 pm or so, she only arrived close to 930pm. Nonetheless, residents waiting for her waited.. and waited.. and waited. There was a line of probably close to 40 ppl. A staff helping to organize the crowd told me that the MP usually tries to see all her residents, and that the session can end at say, 1 am even! goodness. Second... i wonder which other govt goes to this extent to help residents... isn't it a vicious cycle sometimes? the more you give in, the more residents expect from you... then in the end even though the goodies you give them are already very decent, they still think that you ought to give them more.... and SOMETIMES, it becomes a case of ppl not taking responsibility for their own problems... they expect the govt to solve their own problems... isn't this quite 'unhealthy' for society in the long term. Singaporeans can be such a sheltered and 'babied' bunch. Then again, whenever I go on site, I do find myself sympathizing with some folks... who tell me they dun have stable jobs, who are facing financial probs etc.... sometimes I don't know what to think.

It so happened that my MPS coincided with a section 'dinner get-together', which I attended for only 30 min before zipping off to work... and colleagues had earlier decided to go down to a bar/lounge to 'chill out' and drink after that session. I joined them at 11pm after work... at this place in Red Dot Traffic Building. The place was quite cool and the 'room' they gave us was pretty nice and cosy... but even though chilling out with colleagues was alright, I was reminded of times I could just chill out with friends. like at someone's place in Berkeley. that kinda thing. Ever since I started work, I don't think I've really 'chilled out' with a bunch of friends at some place... doing nothing or just talking rot.... i suppose my close friends are all over the place too :) nonetheless, felt that something was 'missing'... sometimes I do wonder, am I subconsciously letting the more unimportant things take over my life... and succumbing to these 'evil forces' without even realizing it...?

No comments: