Saturday, March 01, 2008

Field shoot at Chinatown

Forced myself out of bed at 7.30am this morning for my field shoot today. Unfortunately, the skies were really cloudy and by the time we were ready to hit the streets (about 9 am), it was pouring pretty badly.... Nonetheless, the gloomy weather made it possible for us to shoot dripping water, so it really wasn't that 扫兴 after all :) And after class, I wandered over to interesting little streets in the vicinity like Ann Siang Hill, Erskine Rd, Club St... I wanna own a conserved shophouse! And it felt so nice strolling down the 5-foot (10 foot?) way along Erskine Rd...

Anyway, this post is dedicated to the beautiful shophouses I saw today...

First half an hour or so was spent trying to play with shuttle speed, since we were instructed to be creative with apertures and shutter speeds... I got the above shot only after a few tries...

The red-window shophouse along Temple St... I loved the rich contrast...
A close-up of the dripping water. I am still not v good at manipulating shutter speeds, but good try for a beginner lah ;P

This is one of my fav pictures of the day, taken along Club Street... It was also intentionally un-focused by me, 'cos I thought it looked lovelier that way.

And after this outing I realised that my Olympus DSLR actually takes pretty decent pics... :) Unfortunately the rest of my weekend has to be mostly spent rushing out some report.... :(

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool! I like your shots!

Especially both the raindrops shots. For me, it created an interesting composition cuz of the pattern it created - you have a stream of running water, as well as pearly singular rain drops. The backdrop of the lovely shop houses adds to the whole atmosphere.

On your PC, try switching it to black and white, and I think the effect could be even more dramatic! =)

Try Shutter Priority on your camera. It's the easiest way to lock in shutter speed. Think something upwards of 1/125 should be enough to freeze frame, and yet not cause underexposure in low lighting.

Mints. said...

Thanks for sharing :) Both were taken using the Shutter priority mode on my camera... at something like 1/500s :) But yeah, this underexposure thingy and estimating what kinda movt requires what kinda corresponding shutter speed, I really cannot calculate quickly enough in my head. And I can't really be bothered with that kinda precision (yet...)But it's so thrilling to be able to freeze something in time!