Saturday, June 19, 2010

On flash floods, work and eating rubbish

Flash floods at Orchard made headlines this week. I was wondering how it was immediately reported that losses chalked up were in the millions, only to realise that luxury goods/HERMES bags made up a disproportionate proportion of the initial count. I also came across a piece of extremely smart advertising in Wednesday or Thursday's papers - NTUC Income somehow managed to get hold of the flood pics and rolled out a full page insurance advert on the same day the floods were first reported in the Straits Times. Full page advert right beside the full page reporting on a flooded Orchard Road... So clever!

This is week 1 with SOE. Table is now more cluttered with eye-sorish thicket of unglam cables plus new laptop cum monitor screen. Hai, need to get down to clearing my table clutter some time soon. Archiving with Outlook is a hassle so it helps that Outlook has a more advanced search function. And I kinda like the split screen option - the ability to drag open windows btwn the two computer screens gives me a bigger desktop space. My only attempt to personalise my comp was to replace the ugly SOE wallpaper with a close-up shot of sakura in full bloom. Hopefully the eternal spring on my desktop will remind me that there is always light at the end of the tunnel...

Just yesterday I also realised that I am queen of eating rubbish. My innocuous-looking mouth just draws snacks to it like a vaccuum cleaner. Tried to do a dessert/ snack count just now and despite my resolutions, I've eaten ice-cream/ cakes more than 4 times in the past 4 days! On Wednesday, I resorted to buying a Magnolia ice-cream cone from Cheers after futile efforts to find decent dessert at Lau Pa Sat. On Thurs, I brought someone to eat LRRH (choc mousse cake) at K-Ki during lunch, and had 杨枝甘露 (Mango sago with pomelo) after dinner. Yesterday, I had matcha ice-cream AND a huge portion of peach mango yogurt after dinner! Bleah, everyday is a dessert day for me, no wonder I'm getting flabby... Btw, Coffee Bean at 313 sells yogurt for some strange reason... but their yogurt was pretty sour even for a sour-philic like me. I still like yogurt from Frolick and Seoul Yummy the best :P

No comments: