Tuesday, January 08, 2013

I've been debating whether to commit to a longer-term volunteer role with the Children's Society; or with any VWO types for that matter. While I always think that I want to help people, my efforts are frequently half-hearted, ad hoc and a bit "三分钟热度". Long-term commitment seems to be an issue for me and so I don't recall having volunteered at the same place for more than a month? (except the one time I volunteered for several months with the Oakland Children's Hospital autism intervention program). This often also means that I don't really stay long enough to make much of a difference to whoever I was hoping to help.

Coincidentally - as I was pondering more deeply about underlying reasons for my lack of commitment, D shared his PS' recent observation of good-hearted Singaporeans who lack stamina in volunteering  - with most just volunteering once-off, or for ad-hoc events. So perhaps I should feel less guilty in that 'poor stamina' in volunteering isn't all that uncommon. But then again, comparing yourself to people who are 'worse off' or just like you is typically but a self-consoling/ feel-good strategy. So maybe this is really something I ought to work on in the new year :P

I wonder if it's coincidental that various wise words about giving also recently popped up, both secular and non-secular. Maybe it's really time for me to try to step out of my comfort zone and be more serious about giving.

"You make a living by what you get, but you make a life by what you give" - Winston Churchill 
"Do not withhold good from those who need it, when you have the ability to help. Do not say to your neighbour, 'Go! Return tomorrow and I will give it,' when you have it with you at the time" - Proverbs 3:27-28

No comments: