Monday, February 25, 2013

We caught Upside Down this afternoon - starring Kirsten Dunst and Jim Sturgess. Btw critics seem to think this is one of the better films Kirsten Dunst has done since her Spiderman days; but I think she doesn't do very much in the show either aside from looking pretty. Her co-star on the other hand has a meatier role and gets more fun/action with his part while looking quite cute :P Though the ending was slightly abrupt/ not very satisfactory, I still liked the show - and the gravity/ anti-gravity concept gave the movie an interesting (and at times humorous) twist.

The backdrop for Upside Down is a world (or two worlds) divided by wealth (and gravity). And it's becoming pretty clear to myself that I am somewhat drawn to movies that explore this rich-world-oppresses-poor dynamic. Recent films I've caught and like, which similarly explore this theme include In Time and The Hunger Games. I suppose deep down inside me the issue of rising social inequality bugs me a bit - and so I like watching shows that make me reflect/ think a bit more about the issue. Though admittedly I haven't quite stepped out of my comfort zone to do anything very much for the needier/ poor... :(

Anyways, here's the trailer! It's still showing in theaters here, if you want to catch it :)



No comments: