Sunday, May 27, 2007

Flower jargon

Someone from the WWW just came to my website and identified two of my 'flower' pics! That was pretty cool :P To be informed of the scientific names of my plant subjects. Was also told by this Mr/Miss Botanist that the 'orchid-like' flower I snapped in HCM City is actually not an orchid, but a Trumpet Vine. Upon looking at my own flower pic again, I realized the difference. When on my National Orchid Garden tour, our guide told us a simple (and usually accurate) way of identifying an orchid. He said something like orchids usually have this lower 'lip' petal that looks diff from the rest of the petals. Which is true-- my flower pic didn't have that extraordinary 'lip-like' petal. :P

To the Botanist who left those comments on my blog... Thanks for those educational titbits. Haha though I wonder if you were so mortified to see the flowers either unidentified or incorrectly named that you thought you should educate this ignorant girl a bit.. :P Do you work at the Botanical Gardens?

No comments: