Thursday, May 31, 2007

Lazy Thursday

My day started late today. Wanted to get the family to go watch Shrek 3 with me, but it only opened today, implying crowds at the box office, thus sis voted against it. As such lazed about the house the entire afternoon. Finally managed to pick up my JLPT 2 notes towards lunchtime, only to be distracted by a DVD movie my sis borrowed from the library. Surprisingly, this 1987 movie (Qiu1 Tian2 de4 Tong2 Hua4, i suppose the title rings a bell since there is the TV serial Korean by the same name) starring Chow Yun Fatt and Cherie Chung was highly enjoyable. And touching. It apparently won Best Picture some time back in the 1980s. Set in NYC in the 1980s, it actually took me quite a while before I figured out where the film was set, hai, quite lousy. :P Though some parts of the romantic drama was kinda predicatable, still really liked Chow Yun Fatt's character -- a fobbish Chinese "ringleader"-type of figure. Hilarious during the typical fob scenes but really endearing at the more 'tender' moments. Tis a pity he seems to have taken up more ornamental roles in those big-name-director/Hollywood productions these days.

No comments: