Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Other WTO =>Click here

I am quite hopeless-- am still not disciplined enough to do the right things at the right time. And cos I have an urge to blog about an interesting organisation I learned about earlier today, am neglecting proper 'work' to blog instead ;P Nmind, shall make it quick! So this morning was the last day of the Asia-Pacific Housing Forum... And I had the privilege of meeting the founder of the World Toilet Organisation (actually wonder if they have to pay royalties or something for using this famous acronym), Mr Jack Sim, who gave a very quirky presentation of the importance of improving toilets and sanitation; and how many ppl around the world shirk this 'dirty' topic when it's such an essential part of our daily lives! According to him, in sg, cos ladies are perpetually queueing up for the loo; to the extent that they sometimes have to resort to using empty men's toilets; there is some new building code which stipulates that lady loos in new buildings have to be twice the size of men's. If only that could be retrospectively applied to my building. Tonnes of ladies over at my side of the dept and only two cubicles serving us! Anyway, they also have projects in developing countries, a World Toilet College to train cleaners and organise summits to talk about toilet issues...! Mr Sim's passion for what he does really rubbed off on me and so after the talk I went and asked if one could volunteer for the organisation and what positions were available. To my surprise, he said that it's very flexible and I could do what I'm passionate about and what I'm good at... that really impressed me, cos even though I believe that's the way to go, I've yet to meet anyone/any organisation that really practises this... capitalising on what ppl are best at, what ppl love to do. Aah... I have a very unconventional idol of the month! :)

No comments: