Monday, May 19, 2008

Hair Trivia

Today I decided to treat myself to a scalp treatment using a discount voucher I found in Simply Her. And got a free 'scalp analysis', though it was actually kinda gross. Pores (i suppose they are rightly termed follicles) magnified many many times just look quite undignified :P Basically they stick this special camera device into your hair and immediately your scalp and magnified hair strands are shown on a screen before you. Then (I dunno if it's a standard tactic to scare customers or what) the hair consultant points out how unclean and befitting a treatment your scalp is. So anyway since I was there for the treatment I just went ahead with it... Post-treatment they go through the same procedure, i suppose in hopes of demonstrating the effectiveness of the treatment. And so while 'scanning' through my hair I realised, hey, how come some follicles seem to have more than one strand of hair? And there and then i made the discovery of the day... the hair 'consultant' attending to me told me that up to 3 strands of hair can grow out of a single hair follicle! I was somewhat pleasantly surprised when told that, cos like... you would assume that one strand of hair grows out of a single follicle right?? Else just have more follicles lah, why want to be so 济济。But apparently, no leh. But my curiosity stopped at that... I guess Nature has its own 'way' and I'm content as long as my hair follicles do not go on strike prematurely :) Anyways, apparently one treatment is not enough to cure my unclean scalp and I'll need like 10 treatments or more to ensure complete cleansing, so says the hair consultant. Seriously, I'm beginning to realise that one can splurge on all kinds of treatments from head to toe and if I dun exercise some discretion and self-restraint in guarding my money I will very easily end up super poor and unhappy :P Hai, one can be vain, but not stupidly vain lah hor.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't get taken in by their sales tactics!! :) After all, you were pretty okay with the state of your scalp before they magnified it... - YJ

Mints. said...

Haha... thanks for the reminder :P Nah, I was too skeptical to sign up for any package! Anyway it was also way beyond my budget...