Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Have been lucky enough to get off work earlier than 7.30pm the past two days, to enjoy the wonderful world of TV. My new resolution is really to knock off punctually EVERY SINGLE DAY (which by my definition is 7.30 latest lah) but yeah, it's not that easy to keep up. But at least now I really make the effort to leave. Hehe but maybe went a little overboard this morning when I declared to lhp at 9am that I wished to be home... ha. I'm also becoming a fan of Belinda Lee's 稀游记 travel documentary on Channel U, in which she finds S'poreans all over the world pursuing their passions... It is really quite inspiring. Today's episode featured a S'porean who spent some years working as a software engineer in Califiornia, only to realise that he wanted to pursue something more meaningful... With his wife's full support, the couple moved to Geneva, where he worked for Schwab Foundation, an organisation that promotes social entrepreneurship around the world...

On a lighter note, we discovered Boss's wedding website while in office today. Yeah, these days you can do up a wedding website for free and inform all your friends abt every single detail related to the big day; including publicly publishing you and your bride's love story. Which our boss did lah. Well... we all took our hats off this very dedicated-to-wife-to-be man... cos we were scratching our heads as to how he found time to do up this pretty elaborate website. And as we were kay-pohing and reading thru 'the love story'... I discovered that the two ladies at another workstation had teared... After lunch, someone 'secretly' asked me how come I was not touched (since i did not shed any tears... and they hypothesized that girls my age would usually be more touched by these things) I suppose one only sheds tears when he/she can really connect with the story; knows the 当事人 well enough to feel for him/her... and it's not so much an age issue. Or maybe i'm just too cynical for my age ;)

In fact, I think the most tear-jerking and depressing incidents that have happened of late are the massive Sichuan earthquake and the cyclone in Myanmar that have taken thousands of lives overnight. Esp the first few days after the earthquake-- pictures after pictures of ruins and victims in the papers (And the sickening playing-up of touching survival stories in the evening Chinese tabloids) just made me want to be escapist and avoid reading abt the disaster news... And it makes me ashamed that I'm frequently so complainy abt life.

No comments: