Thursday, July 10, 2008

I like mature trees!

Initially I hated them for delaying my announcement again and again. But recently I've developed some kind of weak spot for them. I suppose when they are but green circles on your map you can easily dismiss them as annoying 'redevelopment obstacles'.... but after I went on site some weeks ago, the original resolve to just cut them down somewhat evaporated into thin air... cos they felt like they've been around forever and full of life... And today during a site visit I couldn't help noticing a lovely huge rain tree. It felt like an old wise tree kindly extending its beautiful crown to shade passers-by... And on my ride home today I couldn't but help thinking and realising, wah, Singapore really has many many trees... But though they have been around me all along, I have been pretty oblivious to them... [J, I was also reminded of your Singapore Standard Time :P]

Two weeks ago there was also a pretty nice tree by the 'holy matrimony' site at Rasa Sentosa...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was my realisation too upon doing the film. I'm glad you found love for those old trees. And I never realised how much the trees actually help lower the temperature in Singapore, until I came here, where there are few large trees, and realised that the higher you live, the hotter it actually becomes, with no trees to block off direct sunlight shining in the windows. Which is the exact opposite in Singapore.

So, much as I hate to sound like a brainwashed Singaporean, that one man really knew what he was doing when he planted all those trees. :)

- J

Mints. said...

Hmm I had the impression though that you lived on the 4th floor...

Haha it's ok, I wun misunderstand. You're usually one of the bottom few on the brainwashed list ;P Remb the post on IRAS...