Friday, July 16, 2010

At the end of a long discussion today boss asked me and AQ why we looked so depressed. Part of the reason was prob cos it was like 645pm and I wanted to go for dinner but of course cannot say. Though prob at hand was indeed a bit tricky, that made it all the more challenging! Boss continued - we needed a fighting spirit! To which I blurted out something to effect like sure, we need fighting spirit to deal with challenges, but the thing must also be worth fighting for right. If not worthwhile fight for what... I think I succeeded in making boss think I a bit gone case... Sigh, I suppose I was overly frank, but sometimes need to voice out true feelings mah. Else everyone say niceties life would be so fake.

4 comments:

courtney said...

omg shi min. i love reading about your work situations! social niceties require so much energy. i've learned the difficult way to censor myself..somewhat... but of course require (and am fortunate to have) someone at work who i can be completely candid..nice to have someone to vent to/who understands & can validate perspective. i've only been at current job for 2 yrs but don't want to slide into complacency... continue to question whether this is really it/suits me... b/c it's not what i ever imagined i'd be doing, sometimes (often) i feel inauthentic/uncredible (if that makes sense). anyway, long ramble when i just meant to say, i relate. =)

Mints. said...

oh dear, we're all so "suppressed" at work.. :P yeah, it's nice to have someone who can relate... unfortunately i don't really have anyone. Glad to hear you relate... shld I complain more then? :P

YJ in Thailand said...

Heh, if it had happened to me, I would have said (jokily) that it's because I want to go for dinner. :D Sometimes, bosses need a hint (in a nice way). I believe that if we're expressing negative feedback or a different opinion from someone, we ALWAYS need to present it diplomatically to them anyway, regardless of whether it's a boss or your friend... Perhaps we can only truly "let go" with family. But I don't feel that it's "self-censoring", in the same way that having good manners and treating people civilly isn't "self-censoring". It's just being considerate and kind. :D As for the fighting spirit thing, I agree with you, though at that point I would probably have just kept quiet so as to leave ASAP. :D

Mints. said...

Heh, I think you're way better at doing these things. Agree regardless of boss/friend, have to be more diplomatic when saying negative things, just that it's usually easier with a friend whom u know prob wun misinterpret your intentions..

You're in Thailand already! For how long?