Friday, August 31, 2012

A baking Friday :)

It's been close to 2 weeks since I last baked! The itch to bake something returned and I decided to try out more recipes this morning. Decided on a simple maple and pecan layer cake (I took a triple layer cake recipe and made it two layers and didn't cream the sides for simplicity :P) and a lavender shortbread recipe I came across yest night on Joy The Baker's blog. Maple and lavender... Two ingredients I love!

Unfortunately the cake wasn't v successful - I was quite worried that my cake layers will end up with muffin tops that I baked them at a lower temp and for too long... So the cake texture turned out a little harder than I expected. I also had grand plans for flower-shaped lavender cookies using my small tart trays but somehow the dough turned out too sticky for that :(

 creaming the first layer...

 Laying the 2nd layer on top - the sponge cake is filled with pecan nut goodness!

 all done and decorated with pecan halves! cut a slice for myself... 
who eats the remaining 7 slices? (D hopes it's not him)



Yeah - unfortunately shortbread is mainly butter and sugar and flour (and in this case, some lavender too)



 A lavender shortbread and green tea picnic!!

No comments: