Sunday, February 10, 2008

Colors of Haji Lane

I returned to Kampong Glam yest evening, this time to check out Haji Lane... 'cos recently heard many good things abt this little street and wanted to check out its quirky stores. Alas! Most of the stores were closed (guess ppl are still resting for CNY)... Instead, I took to photographing some of the shopfronts.
Nice blue gate.

While J was trying stuff, I scouted around outside for photo ops. Above: Shophouse with color-combi I really liked. Below: '46' was painted on one of the pillars outside an adjacent store... to mark the address '46 Haji Lane'.


This was not taken along Haji Lane but at the old Cat high sch. I thought the patterns were cute... and liked the weathering/decay going on on the left-hand side-- an indication that it has prob been around for a while! Wonder how old this wall is.

In the end we settled for dinner at a Turkish restaurant at Kampong Glam... After a very satisfying meal, we strolled to the pedestrianised Bussorah St... past the Morrocan Deli place I dined at the other time. This is prob one of the few nice spots in Sg that's not overly touristy/upmarket, with relatively affordable eating places. There seemed to be a substantial Caucasian crowd, but I couldn't really tell if they were tourists or expats. Prob more expats. We also discovered quite a few ppl smoking sheesha in relatively dark corners/five-foot ways along Haji Lane on our way back. Anyway, the alluring Sultan Mosque by night...

p/s: Actually Haji Lane is not a v colorful st. My pics might be misleading 'cos I only showed you things I chose to snap. As with many things in life, you are unlikely to get the full picture unless you experience it yourself... :)

2 comments:

YJ said...

Looks lovely from your photos nonetheless! :D

Mints. said...

Thank you :) I will continue to work hard at bringing out the beauty in everyday objects... But v sad, no more public hols to do frivolous but enjoyable things like that.