Friday, February 08, 2008

Singapore Art Museum on Chu1-Er4

Admission was free at the Singapore Art Museum today and I decided to pay it a visit... Not a big fan of new year visiting and too poor/sian to go shopping. There were two exhibitions I wanted to see -- These very pop-artish paintings by Chinese contemporary artist Feng Zhengjie; and hand-woven pieces by renowned S'porean fashion designer Benny Ong (The banner on the left depicts one of his works).
I was very drawn to Feng Zhengjie's art-- Though most of his glamorous women drawings on display were primarily in rather clashing colors of bright pink and green, the overall effect was so... captivating. And I couldn't help but marvel at the nice blend of colors on the life-size oil paintings...
Hee, though I think picture-taking was not allowed, I sneakily took some (Aiyah it didn't seem to be strictly enforced, so I assumed it was ok :P). I somehow really like the shot I captured above, with the men discussing the glam woman painting :P

More glam women paintings... They are all in green/pink style, but took a couple in black-and-white. I think it actually shows how well his shading is done.....

I find this quote very true... on the other side of this wall was an English translation --
It is very easy to change one's appearance or pick up a new kind of fashion - A way or a style to maintain one's looks or a very cosmopolitan lifestyle... But it's not that easy to emulate inner substance and the more intangible values in life.
One of themes that Feng Zhengjie tries to explore is the divide/ tension that exists between the inner life of an individual and the outer face that is turned to the world... Which is supposedly why all his women portraits all have diverging eyes... They are beautiful but disturbing at the same time... and I get the feeling that they are all hiding something...

This last picture was not taken at the SAM, but at a rather run-down building right behind the SAM... and according to my mum, it's the old Catholic High Sch... True enough, I found the words "Gong Jiao Zhong Xue". Though old and somewhat dilapidated, it had quite a serene feel to it. This was one of many little angel statues lining the stone-wall structure fronting the side road. I thought the stairways in the background were really lovely... :)

2 comments:

lazy weekend said...

Wow! Nice shots! The black and white was cool!

Hey, and a new glamorous profile pic!:-)

Mints. said...

Thank you... must start practising for upcoming photography class mah :)

Erm... not glamorous pic lah... Self-taken pic (trying to look vintagey) on first day of new year. Wu liao things I do in the backseat of Dad's car :)