Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dilemma

Having been in my unit for nearly 2 years, I felt rather ashamed that I've never really thought very seriously about whether SERS was a good thing for the ppl or not. But a voluntary site recce yesterday made me realise that it was a very simple but important question to ask myself, or perhaps any of us doing all the planning... For usual public queries and such, we always quote the standard justifications along the lines of rejuvenation and improved living environment blah blah but feedback from many existing lessees that they were attached to/ preferred their existing residences really came up quite frequently as well. And so yesterday when I was just walking around XXX estate I somehow could really identify with this sentiment. Notwithstanding that I am a young person with an 'old soul' and somewhat fell in love with the idyllic and 80s- atmosphere of the area (complete with those traditional provision shops that still sell diff kinds of biscuits in huge transparent containers with red covers), I really do believe that new is not always better... And looking at the many elderly residents going abt their Sunday morning activities in the area, I really wondered whether they would appreciate a govt who assumes that they will be happier and better off living in a new 30-storey flat unit close by, but ultimately "elsewhere"? And more generally, though S'pore is getting "hipper" these days; I am somewhat nostalgically upset that many places will never be the same as the way you remembered them to be even just 5, 10 years down the road.

No comments: