Sunday, May 18, 2003

*thoughts on roommates*
have recently been thinking about the parting from my roommates as this semester draws to an end. sometiems i can't help but wonder if I will feel sad, cos after all i have been living with them for almost a year, and though my relationship with them is far from intimate, their presence seems to have been something i have grown to take for granted... i'm suspect that I wun miss them the way I would miss my old and close frens, but i believe that i will definitely look back at my dorm stay with fond memories... such as the nicknames my roommates have 'bestowed' upon me...
1) the room apothecary, for supplying po chai pills to Laura when she fell sick and a variety of lozenges and pills i brought over from Singapore- now both Laura and Lilian acknowledge my po chai pills as the powerful and effective but gross-tasting tiny chinese pills.. =P
2) the acrobat, for my seemingly incredible feat every night, of climbing onto my bunk bed directly from my table, as a result of my laziness to use the ladder at the side of my bed

aside from nicknames, they seem to have accummulated some false beliefs about me, which i have not really attempted to correct, since they are somewhat amusing...
1) that i dun need to sleep, since i sleep at unearthly hours almost every night
2) that i am ultra smart and maintain a 4.0 GPA without much effort and without studying, which happens to be totally false and in this case, i have sought to defend myself against such a claim but not to much success.. oh well, guess it doens't harm for people to think that u are smarter than u really are?
3) that Singapore specializes in selling tiny items, due to the fact that i possess some really cute stuff, and hav an ultra small digicam...
guess have to admit that my lack of knowledge and intimacy with my roommates is also due to my own passiveness and not taking the initiative to get to know them better, like i have only hung out with them like once, when on one fri night they decided to go on an outing witih some floormates to the rainforest cafe in SF and i went along with them.. however being the usual me, i guess i spoke less than 30 sentences throughout the whole trip.. also aggravated by the fact that i didn't really know what to say, since i dun tell them things and vice versa....
but the occasional efforts by my roommates to talk to me do make me happy... cos deep in my heart, i feel warm that i perhaps do occupy a little but insignificant spot in their hearts, that they will always remember the exotic and quiet roommate they had from Singapore in their freshman year...
guess it always takes the initiative of both parties for a relationship to really blossom.... and i somewhat regret that i have not exactly tried harder to get to know them better, but i must say that i have tried. my heart aches a little, as my roommates are really nice and decent people, yet i know that my relationship with them would probably not progress any further...

No comments: