Saturday, January 12, 2008

Kampong Glam

Met up with C, J & S for dinner yesterday and we decided to go along with C's idea of sampling some Morrocan food, "some 5 min taxi ride from Bugis"... When the taxi turned into a street lined with carpet shops and all (think Arab St) someone commented that it didn't feel very sg. Someone else wanted to bring her Persian ex-roommate here haha. The first structure that greeted us upon alighting was the Sultan Mosque (which, sadly, none of us could name. S however recalled that it appeared in our textbooks last time...) Then while walking to our dining place, I kept trying to recall what this area was called. It's the Malay version of Little India & Chinatown, I thought. But I just couldn't pinpoint what it was, till suddenly while deciding on what to order I blurted out "Kampong Glam!" (felt very proud of myself haha, but like everyone seemed v doubtful till we saw a NHB signboard nearby). Hee, quite sad right, this is how well I know my sg. I have to say that it was my very first time here (as much as I can recall).

Anyway, I quite liked the area, with its quaint restored shophouses and a beautiful mosque in the background (7-eleven had white wooden doors as entrance!). The Morrocan restaurant, Delimorrocan, was situated halfway along the pedestrianised Bussorah St. We settled for a outdoor table in the middle of the street. Food was alright, but service was patchy. The lady who took our orders didn't seem to be very bothered to serve us (C waited for her ice lemon tea all meal and was told close to end of dinner that it was actually "self-service"). The (Morrocan?) owner was friendly; but strangely decided to practise his Chinese on us (something I typically only experience out of sg). Anyway, it was a nice place to chill 'cos there weren't very many ppl around; and it's so hard to find a nice, non-crowded place in sg these days (esp on Fri night). We also discovered some other interesting looking restaurants along other streets in the vicinity. I shall return some time. :)

No comments: